Capital Area Workforce Development Board began the Access JobLink AmeriCorps program through a grant awarded by the North Carolina Commission on Volunteerism and Community Service. In partnership with North Carolina Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services and local JobLink Career Centers, Access JobLink AmeriCorps engages individuals in meaningful service opportunities focusing on persons with disabilities and/or significant barriers to employment (former-offenders, at-risk youth , older workers and the homeless).
Education Award upon completion
Networking opportunities within local government, and the community
- Making an impact through direct service and being part of a meaningful experience
- Being part of a team of civic minded and community engaged individuals
- Trying new experiences through diverse volunteer opportunities
The majority of their time is spent on the following activities:
- General job search assistance to JobLink Career Center Customers
- One-on-one job search assistance to the targeted population: persons with disabilities and/or significant barriers to employment (ex-offenders, at-risk youth, older workers and the homeless)
- Outreach and community awareness activities at local libraries, schools and nonprofit agencies
- Team service projects at area parks, festivals, etc.
How to Become a Member
The 2013- 2014 program year will run From September 9, 2012 – through August 31, 2014. This year’s Access JobLink team will include 15 full-time, 2 half-time members. We will begin accepting applications via My AmeriCorps online recruitment system and mail on March 1, 2013 until all Access JobLink slots are filled. These are grant funded positions, with all employment contingent upon funding.
Full-time members will provide 1750 hours of service with a 12 month commitment and receive both a stipend of up to $12,100 and an educational award of $5,500. Click here for online application
- Half-time members will provide 925 hours of service with a 12 month commitment and receive both a stipend of $5,000, and an educational award of $2,675. Click here for online application
AmeriCorps Service Site Opportunities
Please note that ALL applicants must submit the results of a FBI fingerprint - based background check in order to be considered for an AmeriCorps position. There is a cost associated with requesting a background check, but if you are selected for one of the positions, we will reimburse you for the cost of the background check. You must make copies of all background check request documentation and save any and all receipts in order to be reimbursed.
For Specific information about how to request a background check from the FBI please visit: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/background_checks
*The results can take up to 12 weeks from the time you send in the request.
- Access JobLink AmeriCorps staff will screen and review applications.
- Eligible candidates will be sent an application packet via email to be returned to Access JobLink staff.
- Eligible completed candidates’ packets will be reviewed Access JobLink AmeriCorps staff and qualified individuals will be interviewed, who will then refer candidates to Site Supervisors to coordinate interviews for each open position
Access JobLink AmeriCorps staff will make final service and site placement decisions.
- Finalists will be notified by August 31, 2013.
For more information about the Access JobLink AmeriCorps program, contact Ashley Reams at 919-664-7965. Please check out our Access JobLink Facebook page for pictures, our monthly newsletter and additional information.